PS4 to PS5: Backwards Compatibility Intro

  • Akesh Partel
  • 02 Sep 2020
PS4 to PS5: Backwards Compatibility Intro

There are many questions surrounding the upcoming release of PlayStation 5. How will PS5 play PS4 games? Which of the biggest titles will the new-gen console support? Will PS VR games be playable on PS5? This post answers some popular questions regarding the future launch of the much-awaited console.

Sony’s Next-Gen Console Launch Details

The release of the new generation champion console and its cheaper Digital Edition is scheduled for November 12, 2020. The products are expected to cost $499.99 and $399.99 accordingly and are already available for pre-orders starting September 17, 2020.

The first countries to try out the new products will be the USA, Mexico, New Zealand, Australia, Japan, and South Korea. The rest of the world will have to wait for another week to get the console.

A Word About Backwards Compatibility

Just like Microsoft’s flagship Xbox Series X and entry-level Xbox Series S, which are scheduled to see the world at roughly the same time as Sony’s products, PlayStation 5 will support backward compatibility for the majority of PS4 titles. It means that users will be able to play PS4 games on PS5.

The number of PS5 backwards compatible PS4 games confirmed features 99% of over 4,000 PlayStation 5 titles available today. Unfortunately, that leaves us with 1% of games, including the popular Hitman Go: Definitive Edition, which will not run on the new console.

Will PS5 play PS4 Games With the Same Quality?

There will be three modes of compatibility available to PS5 users – PS4 Legacy Mode, PS4 Pro Legacy Mode, and PS5 Native Mode.

Games that are not optimized for PS4 Pro will run the PS4 Legacy Mode, meaning their CPU will downgrade the performance to keep up with the PS4 hardware. With the PS4 Pro Legacy Mode, you might be able to enjoy better resolution and some visual upgrades, depending on how the game has been enhanced to play on PS4 Pro. Finally, games adapted to play in the PS5 Native Mode will have some added features like native 4K resolution, improved 3D Audio, higher frame rate, etc.

Starting the Final Countdown

With just a few more weeks to go, the excitement is building up. The 2-day earlier launch of Microsoft’s Xbox S/X raises the stakes even higher. We will have to wait and see if Sony’s newest creation manages to live up to our expectations. Are you excited about the upcoming release? Are all your favorite titles PS5 compatible? Speak up your mind in the comments below!

black sony ps4 controller